You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK if you are 16 or over and you:
- have been offered a place on a course
- canspeak, read, write and understand English
- have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course – the amount will vary depending on your circumstances
- are from a country that is not in theEuropean Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- meet the othereligibility requirements
There will be no change to the rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK until 2021. You and your family can apply for ‘settled status’ to continue living in the UK after June 2021. The scheme will open fully by March 2019.
You can apply for a visa 3 months before you start your course.
You can arrive in the UK before your course starts:
- up to 1 week before, if your course lasts 6 months or less
- up to 1 month before, if your course lasts more than 6 months
How long you can stay depends on the kind of course you are doing and what study you have already completed.
What you can and cannot do
- work as a student union sabbatical officer
- apply from inside or outside the UK
- apply to extend your stay
- work in most jobs – depending on what level your course is and what kind of sponsor you have
- obtain public funds
- work in certain jobs, for example professional sportsperson or sports coach
- study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school)
Our UK immigration team is are here to guide you through the complex immigration rules and requirements for prospective students (tier 4). Contact us to see how we can help.
General EnquiriesCONTACT US