Permanent Residence in the UK is also called Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or settlement. Indefinite Leave to Remain is granted to people who have already shown a commitment to the UK through a number of immigration routes (tiered visas, long residency, family visas and many more)
After a UK visa holder has lived in the UK for a specific period of time, they can apply for ILR entitling them to live in the UK indefinitely, and in some instances apply for British Naturalisation a year later.
In most instances, Reeds Immigration can apply for an ILR application on a same day basis.
It should be noted that you do not automatically qualify for ILR on completion of your continuous period of lawful residence in the UK.
You must submit a settlement application and submit evidence of your eligibility for ILR:
- Continuous lawful residence in the UK for the required qualifying period
- Absences from the UK not exceeding 180 days in any 12 months of the qualifying period
- Evidence you have passed a Life in the UK Test
- Evidence of your ability to speak English to the required standard
- Evidence that your application meets the General Grounds for Refusal – for example, addressing if you have any criminal convictions or breaches of your immigration status
Reeds Immigration will be able to assist in your settlement application from start to finish.